About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
Documenting one couple's attempts to live a more self-sufficient life.

Monday 1 August 2016

Gŵyl Awst Hapus / Happy Lammas

Lammas, also known as Lughnasadh or in Welsh, Gŵyl Awst*, is a festival that hasn't been adopted into our modern calendar, though we do have the August bank holiday at the end of the month. It's the first of three harvest festivals, traditionally the wheat harvest.

I don't have wheat or any other grain, but I do have that modern import from the new world, potatoes, and I started harvesting them a few days ago. They're a bit small, really, but I have maincrop potatoes for growing big. I will eat these as they are, and all the better for it.


Today's harvest

---

* Literally, August festival

4 comments:

  1. It feels very natural to celebrate harvest...I remember the harvest festival at school, bringing in cans and the big wheatsheaf, it was the best time of year! Sadly no grain at ours either, but we are surrounded by fields full of it, so vicariously harvesting it instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I like the old festivals that are connected with the sun and things actually growing. They feel more real than the ones that mark religious stories.

      Delete
  2. I just had some tiny spuds because a badger had uprooted the plant, if I'd deepfried them they would have been microchips : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Badum-tish!

      Bad luck about the badger - I hope the rest of your spuds are left to grow bigger.

      Delete

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)