About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
Documenting one couple's attempts to live a more self-sufficient life.

Wednesday 3 April 2013

In which I get myself a little job

I didn't really want to get a job when we moved here, and I haven't found myself missing anything about the world of work, but when Ian's freelance income started to fall last autumn, I did start considering the options. Luckily, things are looking up now, but one of the options I considered was the kiosk at Devil's Bridge Falls. I know a couple of people who work there part time, and it seems like a rather pleasant job. I didn't do anything about it, but a couple of weeks ago Vicky got in touch to ask if I'd be interested in a few shifts, so I said yes.

A key advantage of this job is that a few shifts is an option. I don't have to commit myself to working full time, or even half time; I can still see self-sufficiency projects as my main occupation whilst earning a few pounds on the side. Another key advantage is that it's ten minutes walk from my house (or a bit more by the time I've been to collect the keys to open up in the morning).

I had my training on Friday and did my first shift this morning. I loved the fact that the first task when I arrived was to put the bird feeders out.


Bird feeder at the start of the nature walk

Drawing back a little, here's the view from my office...

... though of course I can't spend my whole time admiring the view. I do have to turn round and pay attention to customers most of the time.


My workspace

Working at a tourist attraction means chatting to people who are out enjoying themselves, so it's really rather good fun. I need to improve my knowledge of the local area so I can be more helpful when asked for directions, but improving my local knowledge would be quite a good thing anyway.

Although our finances are OK at the moment, there are things that I'd like to do, but hesitate over the cost. For example, there's a foraging course that I'd like to go on; one shift at the Falls would just about pay for that, so now I'm much happier to book a place without feeling that I can't justify the expense.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds lovely! I actually enjoyed working that sort of job - especially when it's in a situation where there aren't a lot of opportunities for pissed off customers. It's nice to chat with people, and to earn a few bucks in a way that doesn't involve a lot of stress, or deadlines, or bringing work home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like a perfect job especially as you can do shifts to suit. I like that you have to put the bird feeders out first (much more fun than turning on the coffee machine or photocopier!). Sounds great and hope you have lots of fun! But obviously you've been too busy to do any foraging on Friday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the foraging, just didn't get round to writing the blog post...

      Delete

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)