About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
Documenting one couple's attempts to live a more self-sufficient life.

Wednesday 6 July 2011

Insect repellant is pretty effective, actually.

I made some insect repellant cream from wormwood* a little while ago.


Possibly wormwood, but more likely southernwood

I've been using it quite a lot since then, and it works. It's not 100% effective, but then I doubt anything is. Mostly, I only get bitten now when I'm going out briefly and don't bother to put any cream on. My sister has commissioned a pot for her baby because, while she doesn't mind putting nasty chemicals on her own skin, she's not too happy about doing that for a two-month old baby.

---

* At least, I thought it was wormwood. I'm now thinking it might actually be the closely related southernwood instead. Both have insect repellant properties, so it doesn't really matter.

3 comments:

  1. No it's not Wormwood, as I've got one of those in the garden and the leaves are flater and wider than your picture shows, but it may well be southernwood, but if it's helping and not poisionous then hey result,lol.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely southernwood. Is it safe for babies...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the confirmation! I did point out to my sister that just because it's natural, that doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. I did a bit of research online and the only cautions I found related to taking it internally. I've been using it on myself with no problems. My sister is medically trained, so should spot any irritation pretty quickly if there is any. I'll let you know...

    ReplyDelete

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)